Young Leaders in Healthcare
The Young Leaders in Healthcare club (YLHC) is for high school students throughout the San Diego region who are interested in learning more about the wide variety of careers available in the health care field. School-based chapters meet weekly, with all YLHC members coming together monthly, to hear from medical professionals who share up-to-the-minute scientific information, an overview of their professional responsibilities, and the educational pathways that led to their careers in medicine. This program is a partnership with Scripps Encinitas, Scripps Health and San Dieguito Alliance for Drug Free Youth.
YLHC provides opportunities including:
- Meeting and working with other students interested in health care careers
- Direct interaction with professionals across many different disciplines
- Building leadership skills
- Working cooperatively on year-end projects
- Opportunities for community service projects
- Opportunities to volunteer in hospitals
- A pathway to participate in the highly selective summer internship program at Scripps hospitals, where they receive first-hand knowledge of the hospital experience, and are mentored by professionals in 5 different hospital departments.
Since 2009, YLHC has allowed hundreds of students to deepen their understanding of medicine, biotechnology, the changing healthcare environment, and most recently, crisis management in the age of COVID.
Please visit the Young Leaders in Healthcare website at https://sites.google.com/view/youngleadersinhealthcare/home
Questions? Contact Nancy Perry-Sheridan at email@example.com.